Thursday, July 9, 2009

MINI FARMING







Today I searched the net for ideas to start a mini farm.






I learned a few things about sustainability.
I have 3.5 acres and only use about 1.5 and the rest is over grown with junk trees and briers.
I have decided to do some cleaning.



I will have to do some land . I will start this when it starts to cool off abit. I plan to mulch much of the clearing debre.

It will take a while to get this accomplished

HERE IS MY TO DO LIST....

1. I will have to clear about .5 acre of scrub trees and briers.
But in the end I will have a very good space for some fruit trees to go along with my grape and blackberries. I have already tried my hand at making blackberry wine.
Since I will be working on a shoestring, it will be a slow job. But I feel I can handle it.

This year I started new garden area plus my old area of 12 by 20 ft
2. I plan to add more this fall as well as getting this years beds ready for the coming spring.

3.I have a package of asparagus seeds to start now so to transplant this fall as well.
4.I built a chicken house for my 6 new chickens. I am in the process of aquiring some ducks locally that will be good bug catchers.

5.I have a large stand of bamboo that I think I can utilize.

6.I need to get some fruit baring shrubs, such as blueberry and raspberries to go along with the apple trees that I will plant next year.

I will add to my list later. I think this will be enough to keep me busy for 365 days...


Here is a recipe I plan to try from my own fig trees.
Fig Bars Adapted from “Baking Unplugged” by Nicole Rees
Crust & Streusel:

*Ingredients*

1 1/3 cups unsalted butter, melted and cooled to just warm

1 cups packed light brown sugar

2 large egg yolks

¾ teaspoon salt

3 cups all-purpose flour

Dough has been scored and is on its way to the fridge, before oven time. (Kim O'Donnel)
Method Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with foil (KOD: I used parchment paper), allowing ends to create an overhanging edge for easy removal.

In a large bowl, stir together melted butter and ¾ cup of the brown sugar until just combined.

Stir in egg yolks and salt until smooth.

Stir in flour to make a stiff dough (KOD: but it will be buttery, which will help).

Total yield: a scant three cups.
Transfer about 2 cups of the dough to the prepared pan.

With your hands, press mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan.

Prick dough all over with a fork.

Refrigerate for 30 minutes (or freeze 5-7 minutes) until dough is firm.
Meanwhile, make the fig filling.
*Fig Filling: Ingredients*

2 cups dried Mission figs, finely chopped
1 cup orange juice
½ teaspoon grated orange zest (equivalent of one orange)
¼ cup honey
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons dark rum, Cognac or whiskey
*Method*

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over high heat with enough water to cover.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low.

Simmer mixture, covered, until tender (KOD: I found that the figs softened more quickly when uncovered), up to 30 minutes, adding more water as necessary.

When figs are soft, mash into a rough puree using a wooden spoon or potato masher.

Use immediately or refrigerate for up to two weeks.
If you do make mixture in advance, you may need to add a few tablespoons of lukewarm water to make mixture spreadable.
*For the streusel*

combine remaining ¼ cup brown sugar with reserved dough until crumbly.

Mixture should hold together when pressed but readily break into small crumbs. (KOD: this did not happen for me, but all ended well and streusel-y.)

Set aside.
When ready to bake:Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Bake crust for 20 minutes, until crust begins to set but is not brown at all on the edges (center will not be firm yet).

Remove from oven and increase oven temperature to 350 degrees. Spread fig filling evenly over hot crust.
Crumble streusel over filling.
Bake near top of oven, 20-25 minutes, until streusel is golden and set. Allow pan to cool, 1-2 hours.

When bottom of pan is cool, carefully lift from pan using overhang and transfer to a cutting board. Slip lining away from bars by lifting with a metal spatula.
Cut into 2-inch squares.


Doesn't that sound delicious!






No comments: