Saturday, July 4, 2009

We go to town, eat a light supper, try to find a good spot, get out the chairs, eat ice cream and wait on the fireworks.



Since we are usually in the most radical ride around we get a lot of attention in hubbies newest creation.



When my son was very small my husband had a motorcycle with a side car. He put in seat belts for my son. We put him in the car seat belted him in. I got on the back and off we went to town to watch the fireworks. Needless to say we got alot of attention that year.



This morning I went out to look at the garden to see what had changed since yesterday... Looks like a few more flower petals have fall. This is my banny rooster. He follows me around the yard when I am out.

I will load a current photo of my vegetable garden on my next visit.
I try as best I can to be organic in my garden practices. I mulch and add shredded newspaper as well as wheat straw to my garden. This year I tried something new. I made raised bed using the laz..y method.

Down the road here is a small family owned cabinetry shop and they have lots of sawdust. I called and was graciously given permission to get all I wanted of the old rotted black sawdust.
So I started with cardboard that a friend gave me. He works at a local big box plant and hardware store and can get me the really big size of cardboard. He also brought me several 'D' grade 2x4's used in shipping. I created 8 2ft x 8ft beds.

I started with the sawdust which had been burned so there was some wood ash in it as well. Next I added bought peat moss in a thin layer, shredded newspaper, sawdust, peat moss, fresh grass clippings and continued in fashion until the beds were 8 inches thick. As it rotted down I started planting some seedlings I had started in the cold frame.

We got way too much rain this spring so I had to replant a few things. But as things started to take off I added more shredded newspaper and covered it all with wheat straw. I have been getting beans, zucchini,eggplant,lettuce,radish,broccoli and cucumber as well as a few tomatoes.
I am using heirloom seeds this year so I am able to save for next years seeds. I have noticed a difference in the plant sizes.

No comments: